Friday, September 18, 2009

What are you up to now?

Corietta (Cory) Teshera-Sterne
REU '09

Mentor: Emery Boose
Project: A Software Engineering Approach to Scientific Data Provenance (abstract)

Hometown: Seattle, WA
College and major: Mount Holyoke College, Biology/Computer Science, class of '10

What you miss most about the REU program:
Being around scientists all the time, the food, my friends, and the forest right outside my door.

What you miss least about the REU program:
The insects, indoors and out.

What about the REU program has stuck with you:
My project - it's continuing on to be my senior thesis, so I'll be stuck with it for a while yet!

Have you stayed in touch with other REU students?:
Very much so - I'm dating one! A bunch of us also met up in Boston a week or two ago to catch up, and we stay in touch on the net.

Whether your REU experience supported or changed your career plans:
One of the stated goals of the REU program is to provide some of the experience undergrads need to determine whether or not they want to pursue research as a career. Although I already planned to go on to grad school and pursue research, having this summer experience greatly supported that decision and gave me much greater motivation to follow through on my plans.

What you're up to now:
I'm starting my final year of my undergraduate college career, beginning my senior thesis based on my REU project, and thinking about grad schools.

Want to see more alumni profiles? Check out our Harvard Forest REU alumni blog.

No comments: